Sunday, March 26, 2006

At Last! Someone From gUO Displays Some Character

I received this very well articulated message in my email say_yes2fishers@hotmail.com

I've removed the first part since it was part of an exchange and it wasn't really on point.

"Simply put, the lack of planning, lack of vision, lack of
honesty, and the choice of ego over public concerns have brought us to where
we are. Fishers has rubber stamped every development that has come along,
and hasn't even bothered to follow up on the changes made to some of these
developments after approval, or the damage done to the county, particularly,
traffic flow and increased numbers of school students. Faultless and the
rest will never atone for, or try to correct the bad decisions that have
been made. Fishers has gotten itself upside down with the tax revenue
needed by allowing too much residential and not enough commercial
development, and they won't admit, or correct that. I have nothing against
Fishers. But I do have a problem with paying more for what I already have.
In some cases, LESS than what I have. We want the truth. I guess the one
bright spot in all of this is that regardless of the annexation outcome,
Faultless is serving his last term in office. HIS motivation and character
has already been revealed."

Now finally something we can sink our teeth in to! The "rubber stamping" of developments is, I believe, an accurate observation. I'm venturing to say that even though I have attended a few more Fishers Town Council meetings than your average geist resident and I have personally witnessed the alleged "rubber stamping" I still have a problem with this observation.
Who are we to fault an owner of say 80 acres of farmland who while getting on in age with no children or grandchildren interested in farming decides to sell it to a developer for enough cash to retire comfortably? The developer doing what a developer is supposed to do...DEVELOPS. Lo and behold, a large number of people interested in what the area offers namely, good schools, recreation and low crime start buying lots and building houses. Sounds a lot like a textbook case of pure capitalism. Why should a town council see fit to stop this?
The "hasn't even bothered to follow up on the changes made to some of these developments after approval" I also think has some merit but squarely falls on the Fishers Department of Development who I think would argue that a lack of resources is responsible. That would mean that Fishers Council could possibly be accused of growing the size of its government. They would never want to be responsible for that! On the other hand, do we as business owners really want a "gestapo" like Carmel and Zionsville has that scrutinizes every nut and bolt of your building?
As to the rest, I don't believe that Fishers is "upside down with the tax revenue
needed" (someone point me towards some documentation, please!). The only traffic flow problem I see is on an interstate highway (not in Fishers bailiwick). The schools have done a marvelous job of coping with the influx of new students. Indeed the developments that have received the most remonstrance of late are the "commercial" ones. As to this being Scott's last term in office, I hadn't heard that before. It is to me though, a great opportunity to put some new blood in to the council. A part of our system of government that makes this a great country. Too bad no one from geist has enough hootspa to want to go for it.

No comments: