Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Back To The Point

The only reason I retracted the "unconfirmed story" was that it was incorrect. The information was billed as "unconfirmed". A couple of journalists checked the information, found it to be false and decided not to mention it (except Abdul of WXNT, but that's another story...). Obviously I screwed up and will be sure to NEVER do THAT again. The fact that there are those who would start such rumors does strengthen Mike's case that there are those who want to smear him. His pundits are even saying that there was a silver lining with respect to added name recognition. The fact that he IS a public figure and still saw fit to threaten me with legal action over this I thought was a little over the top but he did provide me with an opportunity to retract the "unconfirmed story" and that was kind.

However, the only answer to the question of the emails sent out to promote the golf tournament was something like "everyone does that". Now, my hit counter (and Mr Kole's) has shown access initiated from co.hamilton.in dozens of times over the last few months. Granted, usually after 4:30 PM (we all know that most government employees are not "on the clock" after about 4) but not always. I'm a bit surprised that no one (not even the media) sought to investigate that information. Maybe everyone does do it. Since we are a nation of laws and in Indiana we have a law to specifically deter it I am personally disgruntled that it goes unenforced. All I can hope is that the "Delete" keys and buttons have gotten a good workout up in Noblesville.

3 comments:

Mike Kole said...

I have had many people in the Libertarian camp react very favorably to the idea that an unsubstantiated rumor was being circulated about me, because they did see it as an opportunity to gain media attention. Easy for them to say- it's not their name being kicked around!

I just wish you would have had the courtesy to come to me with the allegation to ask me if there was anything to it. I would have told you straight away that it was miles off-base. But then, advancing a rumor such as that had nothing to do with courtesy. So, spare me the "shock" that I might threaten to sue you over it. You should expect nothing less in response to an attempt to ruin a man's name.

If my former co-workers at the county are scrambling- good. Government equipment & time shouldn't be used for personal/political purposes.

I believe the Republican majority has bred a very lazy culture in Hamilton County, whether at the county itself, or in the municipal governments, that tolerates inappropriate use of public facilities. I witnessed fairly rampant abuse in this area. I regularly received the weekly Hamilton County GOP missive from Charlie White at my county computer email. In fact, I even received an email notice for a fundraiser for my opponent, Todd Rokita, at my county computer email. You can imagine what a shock that was to me! I printed copies of all of these documents.

So, there is some cleaning up to do. If I were running for a County office, I'd make a lot of hay out of it. Alas.

Mike Kole said...

By the way, Kent Ward got two more media calls today about me and these allegations. Have you really passed the retractions along?

J.Q.F.R. said...

I hope I'm not giving the impression that I'm taking it lightly. I'll send them all again.