Monday, May 22, 2006

Another Election Day Mandate!

I must say, the quality and number of visitors to this blog amazes me. One astute visitor has just pointed out another example of voters in the last primary election coming out in favor of the annexation.

This time we refer to the wasted-ink-and-paper version of atgeist.joke which I shall call atgeist.birdcagefloor (mailed to you and I by the same little guy who publishes the gUO propaganda on his amateurishly administered web site) which I received the month before the election. In it was an "article" by rachel (refered to in the previous post). The essay (she skipped those journalism classes too!) theorized that the primary election might attract more voters this year due to the "hotly contested" geist annexation. She claimed to have conducted a telephone interview with each of the eight candidates for Fall Creek Township Board (of which the top three would be elected) during which she inquired as to where they stood on the issue of the annexation: for, against or neutral.

She identified three candidates as being against: Robert Thompson, Victor Wenning and John Zerbo. What a surprise! Not a single one of those three were elected!

I must say though I'm in a quandry. To say that the people of Fall Creek Township were actually influenced by this essay would be to admit that intelligent, registered voters actually do read atgeist.birdcagefloor. I can only hope that these three losers did some additional campaigning on the issue.

8 comments:

Mike Kole said...

Well, you're averaging three visitors a day. That's progress, eh? :-)

No matter what issues anyone runs on, it is never enough to simply buy a website ad or get a newsletter write-up to win. Local candidates must go door-to-door if they are going to win, and none of these anti-annexation candidates did so.

So- when are we going to see that voluntary annexation petition?

J.Q.F.R. said...

I guess it's the ones I block from view that I'm refering to.

It's not going to be enough to just stuff $100k into some lawyers pocket either.

I sense a very busy Summer from both sides of the front. I wouldn't count on any petitions though.

Mike Kole said...

I'm hoping very much that it will be a very busy Summer on this front, but as we all know, it's dependent upon the Carmel suit results and what the Fishers Council makes of it. I don't think it crazy to suggest that it might not be until late Fall or early Winter that it really gets going again... unless the Council decides it's not worth doing at all after the Carmel suit.

Again- I hope they do it sooner rather than later, for my own selfish political reasons.

J.Q.F.R. said...

I'm sure they're holding off just to sink your political ambitions ;-)

But more to the point of this post, I find it hard to believe that not one of these three candidates could garner even 15% of the vote. Especially running on such a "hot" issue. I saw at least one of the three addressed the issue on their yard signs. All three must be extremely unpopular people or the voters have simply spoken on the issue. I choose to believe the latter in light of the Moran vote. The average value property owner in geist is basically telling the millionaires to back off. Deal with it.

Off point again - I'd like you to say on your blog how you would/wouldn't try and change the new Indiana voter ID law if you were to get elected. Since that IS actually something you might have influence on...

Mike Kole said...

I'm in favor of Voter ID. Pretty simple.

I do have a problem with the current Secretary of State spending $1.2 million in ads to promote implementation of Voter ID, but made virtually no effort to encourage people to actually vote.

Mike Kole said...

Actually, the Geist candidates who lost did so because of what they didn't do in relation to the numbers.

Geist is merely one small area of the whole of Fall Creek Township. If those Township candidates did nothing in particular to reach out beyond their own subset of the Township, I would only have been surprised if they had won.

I don't think it was a mandate or statement of any kind. Just numbers. They say the first thing a politician needs to learn to do is count. That applies here as anywhere.

J.Q.F.R. said...

I looked on your blog and your SoS campaign site for any information relating to voter ID. Is it that since it was someone elses idea that you refuse to give credit where it is due? Seems to be a recurring issue with you.

And so you're saying that the geist enclave isn't really the political engine it claims to be. Wow, to hear them talk you'd think they own the whole county! I guess it just means that most Fall Creek Twp. residents are in favor of geist annexation. That's good information to have when the rest of the town begins to oppose the remonstrance.

Mike Kole said...

Hey- do you work at Purdue? Just curious.